2021 – 2022 Season
Thank you to everyone who auditioned this year! Results can be found here.
At the bottom of this page you’ll find the excerpts for the 2021-2022 auditions. They are drawn from the two main works we hope to be performing in the Fall concerts: Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherezade and Rachmaninoff’s Symphony No. 2 in E minor.
The criteria we will be using in listening to these excerpts are pretty simple:
- A sense of the piece as a whole and of how a particular excerpt fits into that whole. There are more recordings of these popular works online than one can count, and you’re encouraged to explore, but here are two fine performances.
- How closely you read all the details—rhythms, dynamics, articulations, tempi.
The rest of the audition will consist a piece of your choice. You may play anything so long as it shows contrast between more technical playing and more lyrical.
Those wishing to be considered for Concertmaster/Leader should also prepare the Scheherezade solos in addition to the Rachmaninoff and a prepared piece. I’d encourage you to take two time slots when signing up.
Percussionists- Please prepare the snare drum, triangle, glock, tambourine excerpts only, no prepared works, and bring a prepared timpani work.
Good luck to all!
All excerpts can be found in this Google Drive folder.
Cello Part Correction: you only need to play the last five lines of page 4, not the entire page.
- Download the excerpts for your instrument above.
- Online sign-ups for audition times are at the top of this page.
- Bring the excerpt and a brief work of your choice to the audition. We recommend picking a work that’s different in character to your excerpt.
- The auditions are ten minutes. Plan on playing about 8 minutes, as it always takes a little time to set up.
- Come to the audition a little early so you can fill out the information sheet.